Friday, July 27, 2012

Grandma's Apple Butter

There is no butter in apple butter.  The name come from the smooth, buttery texture. Apple butter is wonderful on buttered toast. Mmmm!  My grandma used to make it all the time, then she quit.  A couple years ago I decided it was time to learn.  As much work that goes into it, it is relatively easy to make!

You will need:
8-10 Medium Apples [I use Granny Smith]

Sugar
Cinnamon to taste

Preheat Oven to 225.

Boil apples until soft.
Extract pulp.  Mix 1 cup apple pulp to 2 cups sugar.
Cinnamon to taste.
Put mixture in a flat pan and bake for 1 hour. [I use two pyrex pans, and put a cookie sheet underneath incase it boils over.]
Mixture will thicken and turn brown.
Spoon mixture into 1/2 pint jars.  
I use the waterbath method of securing the seals.  

No comments:

Post a Comment